Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Roll Eagle/War Tide

I know i will catch some flack for this - probably most of all from my die-hard Alabama fan of a husband, but this is worth it.

Let me explain. I grew up in a very Auburn family. Very. Auburn. My great grandad went there (before it was even called Auburn). My grandad went to Auburn. My dad went to Auburn (and works for them!). My brother is a student at Auburn. It's in my blood. I love Auburn - always have.

But, I'm an Alabama fan. I went to Alabama. Lived it and love it. I've cheered the cheers, sung the songs, and played the music. All while Alabama football was going through one of its darkest times. 3 head coaches in my four years of school and a losing Iron Bowl record. Yet, I cheered them on. Imagine my excitement then when last year we went undefeated and won the Heisman trophy (our first ever!) and the National Championship (something that hadn't happened since I was in 2nd grade)! To live in Texas and have those bragging rights made the victory even sweeter.

I love my sweet home Alabama, but I still love Auburn too. Distance has a way of lessening state rivalries and living out here, I find myself cheering for the boys from home (regardless of their uniform color) with all that I have. In fact, there is only one day a year that you won't find me hoping for both of my teams to win. (Though for the record, I yell "Roll Tide!" loud and clear on Iron Bowl day.)

With that in mind, I'm sure you'll understand the elation I feel knowing that my home state has now claimed 2 Heismans and 2 National Titles in as many years!! The child in me is overjoyed to see the team I've cheered for all my life finally win it all! The adult in me is bursting with pride to claim that I'm from the great state of Alabama! I may be in the minority here, but I couldn't be happier with these last two football seasons!

Roll Eagle!! War Tide!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...